"Truth hurts"

| Saturday, January 9, 2010
First let me clarify that I love "them" no matter what differences we may have!

I’m not 100% sure that I want to rock this boat at the moment, but I’m getting a little perturbed by the comments on the condition of my friend Shadab. I wanted to discuss/share what I came to know and that was it. That idea, to my knowledge was quite peaceful until a “Truth Hurts” showed up and decided to say that some will always be inferior to "them" when it comes to their friendship with Shadab and that there will be some things that I just can’t do. I rolled my eyes and blew it off as silly chauvinism at first, but they persisted in arguing with me. It got ridiculous if you ask me. I kindly called for a truce, figuring that we were just going to have to agree to disagree.

I am not here to argue who is a better friend - that is not an issue. And moreover I do full heartedly accept (the truth) "them" to be a more close friend. It is just that I am not seeking to be more or less but just enough for me to do what I would like to do in order for the situation to be better. And I know that they also care, if not more than me for Shadab's speedy full recovery. We are built differently and for different purposes. I believe/want my purpose is to be in bring harmony. I am very grateful to "them" for introducing me to some wonderful souls like "them" selves. For which I am ever grateful!

The truth hurts only because we humans are known to dream/hope a little too much and have our own ideas of how we think things "ought" to be that don't always coincide with reality. Break away and you will be seeking the truth and truth only!!

Truth (impartial truth) is a concept we abstract from personal experience with true-false propositions. IMO the ability to discern truth from falsehood is not a mere introspective feeling. To be true it must be something that can be observed, charted, and tested.

Impartial Truth = an intellectual, relational, unified, reliable, universal aspect of reality that we humans can discern in a limited but useful manner.

Useful means that we humans can learn bits of impartial truth, apply aspects of impartial truth to our lives, and work toward making improvements. These improvements are not absolute because human knowledge of the totality of truth is always limited. If we can break away from the confines of our own conceit, we develop a hunger to learn. When we reach this stage, each truth we learn feeds our appetite for more. In this manner we learn truths and continue to seek truth at the same time.

It's my position that if you have an open mind you will continue to learn truth and seek truth throughout your entire life. But if you have closed your mind and embraced a belief system claiming to possess the one and only one truth then you will be begin to display egocentric righteousness (the natural tendency to feel superior in the light of our confidence that we are in the possession of the truth ).

More Truth
The truth is that many of us do not wish to listen to people who think they are in possession of the only truth. And when we speak our truth to those who are determined to share their belief system with us regardless of our obvious rejection, they become hurt because they are operating from a base of egocentricity, evidenced by the following tendencies taken from the book "The Human Mind" by Dr. Linda Elder:


The human mind is naturally prone to be following egocentric tendencies; e.g

egocentric memory (the natural tendency to "forget" evidence and information which does not support our thinking and to "remember" evidence and information which does)

egocentric myopia (the natural tendency to think absolutistically within an overly narrow point of view)

egocentric infallibility (the natural tendency to think that our beliefs are true because we believe them)

egocentric righteousness (the natural tendency to feel superior in the light of our confidence that we are in the possession of THE TRUTH)

egocentric hypocrisy (the natural tendency to ignore flagrant inconsistencies between what we profess to believe and the actual beliefs our behavior imply, or inconsistencies between the standards to which we hold ourselves and those to which we expect others to adhere)

egocentric oversimplification (the natural tendency to ignore real and important complexities in the world in favor of simplistic notions when consideration of those complexities would require us to modify our beliefs or values)

egocentric blindness (the natural tendency not to notice facts or evidence which contradict our favored beliefs or values)

egocentric immediacy (the natural tendency to over-generalize immediate feelings and experiences--so that when one event in our life is highly favorable or unfavorable, all of life seems favorable or unfavorable as well)

egocentric absurdity (the natural tendency to fail to notice thinking which has "absurd" consequences, when noticing them would force us to rethink our position)

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Next Prev
▲Top▲