Unnai Pol Oruthi

| Monday, September 7, 2009

I'm talking about the kind of greatness that comes along after a child blows her parents minds by playing Beethoven's 9th on the piano before she can walk - no, I'm not talking about Shruti Rajalakshmi Hassan , she only wishes. Yet it's not unlike the affect she will have on our musical listening futures after you let her vocals wrap themselves around your hearts. Yes, I am referring to her rendition of "Vaanam Ellai... Illai" a duet with Blaaze! Hip-hop listeners get ready to Jam!

As for the other songs from Unnai Pol Oruvan, "Allah Jane" features elegantly swaying hooks that have kept me from leaving this song's blissful embrace for the last hour. With it's mystical/middle eastern rhythm and Kamal Hassan's soulful ( he sounds like ARR at times ) perfection takes me a prisoner. There is also a female version of the same by Shruthi, I need to listen to it more.

"Nilai Varuma", with some rather lo-fi percussion and to be honest, what I enjoy the most about this particular songs thus far is the use of electric guitar. I've heard a few other Tamil songs with EG and none of them have used it to such importance.

Then you have the title song Unnai Pol Oruvan, again lots of EG. I like the progression of this song, like when the chorus build up pulls out they distance the vocals, and as the song comes towards the end they bring them back up and consequently closer to the listener. I enjoyed it.

This particular album has a halting stutter to the vocal delivery and really interesting production. A very hard rock feel, something that somehow I was not expecting even Shruti seems to be a rocker gal!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Next Prev
▲Top▲