Varugirai

| Wednesday, July 20, 2005
Your cold heart's no friend of mine
You're thrilling me, you're killing me
And I've been waiting all this time
And I can't change this sorry song
You're making me, you're breaking me
Please Go!!!

This is the basic idea of the song from the new album Ah Aah by A R Rahman. The song Varugirai rendered by Chitra, after a long time we get to listen to the lovely voice of hers in a duet with Hariharan. Though the rhythm reminds me of a few songs by MJ; for example the second innings sounds very close to a track from the album BOTDF (Blood on The Dance Floor) called Super Fly Sister. But hey who was not inspired by MJ? The song has great pitch variations, which keeps me drawn to it!

S P Balasubramaniyam may be old but his voice is NOT! He is the man when it comes to film songs. Sensual incantation by both SPB and Shreya Ghoshal.

Maram Kothiye by Vasundra Das, Shalini and Shankar Mahadevan, how a song could make so much noise, but perfect noise, was beyond me. If I could think of two words to describe my feelings about what the who/what were then it is: organized chaos.
Ah Aah - A great album of soothing, totally individual music.
If you like The Flaming lips, buy this album.
If you like Thundering rhythms, buy this album.
If you like delicate thoughtful vocals, buy this album.

3 comments:

  1. Shankar SubramanianJuly 20, 2005 at 11:48 PM

    The review is right on the money for all the songs.. But you missed a vital song in the album.."Aayiram Kodi" sung by AR Rahman...beautiful lyrics, soulful singing and neat arrangement...Give that song a listen for music's sake..

    ReplyDelete
  2. . . Need to listen to the songs again and again. . .I am getting SUNK in it . . .

    ReplyDelete
  3. it goes like this :

    Varugirai Anbea En Aaruyire Thaluvurai Naluvurai Mayiliragai!

    ReplyDelete

Next Prev
▲Top▲